AFRICAN AMERICAN LEADERSHIP COUNCIL
The African American Leadership Council (AALC) was officially launched early February 2019 by The Christian Alliance for Orphans. The AALC’s vision is to see every child in foster care experience God’s unfailing love through His people – provided throughout the full breadth and diversity of the Church.
GOALS & VISION
of the African American Leadership Council
We inspire, connect and equip African American churches to rise up in answer to God's call to care for the "orphan in distress" with special focus on children in the U.S. foster system. We also believe God has equipped everyone with unique gifts and talents to do his work, that being said, everyone can do something.
African American children are disproportionally represented in the American foster care system.
African-American children are disproportionally represented in the American foster care system -- the percentage of Black children in the foster care system (29%) is double the percentage of Black children in the national child population (14%).
In some states, the disparity is greater – for example, in Illinois, African-American children make up 55% of the foster population, although Black children make up 16% of the overall child population in the state.
WHAT WE CAN DO ABOUT IT
Everyone Can Do Something...What's Your Something?
Bishop Blake shares about how his church has taken a stand for kids in their community.
What are we to do?
Dr. Joy Harvey shares what can happen when a church asks God, "What are we to do?"
These leaders help share the mission and help fulfill the vision.
Bishop Aaron Blake, Greater Faith Community Church
Felicia Mason -Edward, DFPS (Texas)
Sharen Ford, Focus on the Family
Eleanor Johnson, CAFO Multi-Cultural Ambassador
DJ Jordan, CAFO AACI in the Past
Darren Washausen, Orphan Care Alliance
Jan Biddick, CAFO AACI in the Past
Clarkston Morgan, Our Daily Bread
Willie Moore Jr., Radio Host
John Evans, Former Pastor
Bishop Vincent Mathews, Church of God In Christ
Dr. Debbye Turner-Bell, Former Miss America
Chris and Dr. Crystal Collins Broussard, ESPN Analyst
Wintley Phipps, U.S Dream Academy
Cheryl Johnson, CEO of COTS
Robin McKelvey, Speaker, Author, Mother of 10
Tony Mitchell, CAFO Board Member
SIGN UP FOR NEWS & UPDATES
Receive occasional email updates about how CAFO is equipping pastors and leaders to create local church networks that inspire adoption and fostering among local Christians.
for the African American Leadership Council
- Provide wise, godly guidance and practical ideas for how the AALC Coordinator and the wider CAFO community can advance our shared mission and vision.
- Suggest and introduce friends, contacts and other allies who may be willing to play a part in the AALC mission.
- Review and advise on resources produced by the AALC for well-calibrated, effective messaging prior to public use.
- Seek opportunities to speak at African American churches, conventions, radio interviews and other venues to inspire and support African American and other Christians as they embrace a vision for foster care and adoption
- Commit to consistent, fervent prayer for God’s work in and through the AALC.